Thursday, May 31, 2012

Don't Forget What Made the First One Good

Have you ever been disappointed in a sequel? Me too.

One of my all time favorite movies is The Pink Panther, staring Steve Martin. I've watched it countless times, never tiring of classic British humor. If you are not familiar with the move, Steve Martin portrays the bumbling Inspector Clouseau, and through it all, still manages to catch the thief. Alongside the Inspector is his right-hand man, played by Jean Reno.

Reno does an excellent job as the "straight man" - rolling his eyes and other subtle reactions to Clouseau. His reactions to the blunders actually make the scene funnier!

When I heard there was going to be a second movie coming out, I couldn't wait. When it did, I was so disappointed.  Guess what was missing?
Reno was still there, but his quick-wit lines and expressions weren't.

Lesson learned: remember what makes a good story. As I am well into my second book of the Emily Stokes Series, I remind myself of the little things that made the first book so enjoyable. Yes, plot is critical. Action is vital. So are the silly antics of a younger sister. The descriptions of scene. And for me as an author, the use of a few similes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment