Friday, July 6, 2012

Diary of an Author - The Probelm (and Thrill) with Adding History

I love adding history to my novels. It adds a rich layer of color that can't be derived from any place else. 

Key words included in paragraph: Name - Enricho; oldest city in US; house; Acoma Pueblo; dog; Dancing Bear.
 
This is probably one of the most difficult paragraphs I've ever written. I've used two distinct nationalities (Spaniards and Native Americans) and  managed to create a common thread that will serve my characters toward a goal.
If you are unfamiliar with my books, it's helpful to know that Sam, my leading male character, travels a lot and is quite smart. Emily, my heroine, loves architecture. 
The hard part isn't name dropping a place like Acoma Pueblo, but subtly telling my readers where this place is while taking the focus off such a name so that the reader actually focuses on the neighboring words, "house" and to a lesser degree "dog."
Did you catch that? The important part of the sentences is the word house, which relates back to the title of the chapter, "The House."

I hope that as you read A Gift for Emily, you will think back to this blog and approve the final revision.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment