Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Q: What made you decide to write a novel?

A:    I think the career of author choose me. In the past, I've worked at many part-time, odd jobs that have allowed me to focus my energy on my family. But then my last job left me with an injury that removed me from the labor workforce. And it was at the height of the US unemployment rate, so I found myself with extra time on my hands.
      It didn't take long to discover my passion for writing, however. I've always been creative and a bit OCD, so I can't stop a project until it's finished. Both of these qualities have come in quite handy.
      When I started writing, I had no idea about proper writing etiquette. I actually have a MS, but it's not even remotely related to an English major. At any rate, I found a local writer's group that met monthly at the library. And a dear friend of mine bought me magazines like The Writer's Digest. These, plus books on writing helped me a lot. I still don't know all there is to know about writing, but at least I know the meanings of query and genera.

Two books that I found to be particually helpful:

Thanks, But This Isn't For Us  by Jessica Page Morrell

Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maass

No comments:

Post a Comment